For improving the quality of higher education, different Commissions including Radhakrishnan Commission (1948) and Kothari Commission (1966) on higher education had recommended a sustained and purposeful development of academic staff. The National Policy on Education 1986 (NPE) has, inter alia, suggested that the present educational system does not provide opportunities to the teachers for professional and career development, initiative for innovative and creative work, and internalizing the techniques and value system to fulfill their roles and responsibilities. Programme of action of NPE 1986 categorically mentioned a comprehensive programme of professional development through ASCs. Consequently, in 1987 the UGC sanctioned the setting up of 48 ASCs. The ASCs started functioning with the premise that the objective of Academic Staff Development Scheme is to enable academic staff to become effective facilitators of student learning through becoming effective managers of the conditions that affect learning. At present the number of ASCs in India is 66.
Establishment of Academic Staff College
Established in August 1987, the Academic Staff College of University of Allahabad conducted its First Orientation Programme on February 1,1988. It has pursued the objective of improving the professional competence of teachers in tertiary education with a difference. By the end of March, 2012, it had organized 322 programmes 97 orientation programmes and 225 refresher courses and one Winter school along with the one Short term course.
NAAC Peer Team visited the Academic Staff College in February 2012. The Peer Team observed,
- The Academic Staff College, University of Allahabad due to its location and name has slight advantage in availing talented and experienced resource persons and participants from diverse back ground for the programmes conducted.
- Academic Staff College, University of Allahabad tries to adhere to the schedule and programmes.
- Lectures and discussions constitute the major delivery mechanism.
- Basic skills of teaching including use of recent educational technology are incorporated.
- Evaluation of the participants is as per UGC guidelines.
- The location and name of the University / ASC attract eminent resource persons from all part of the country.
- Diverse and talented resource persons from reputed academic institutions and industries are used as resource persons for the Orientation Programmes.
- Diversified topics are covered in Orientation Programmes.
Strict adherence to the norms and guidelines of UGC in the conduct of programmes.
- Time bound decisions to execute the work of preparing and supplying the reading material to the participants.
- Strict observance of core values namely commitment, devotion, punctuality, humility, co-operation and tolerance.
- Effecting change in learning through practical work and setting personal examples.
- Adoption of eclectic approach in dealing with the pedagogical problems faced by teachers at different levels of complexities.
- Providing computer awareness programme to the participants of refresher courses and orientation programmes.
- Adopting participative approach in the conduct of programmes and running of college-ASC.
I am extremely happy to launch the updated website of UGC-Academic Staff College, University of Allahabad, Allahabad. Since its establishment in 1987, this institution has been rendering valuable service as one of the premier institutions of its kind in India because of its distinct national character, work culture, dynamic approach and innovative teaching techniques. I am happy to note that Academic Staff College, University of Allahabad has till offered its services to about 10,000 teachers all over the country by organizing 322 prgrammes.
I hope that information given on this website will be useful to those who are eager to join the programmes of the Academic Staff College, University of Allahabad.
I wish a bright future for the UGC-Academic Staff College, University of Allahabad.
DIRECTOR, ACADEMIC STAFF COLLEGE
EDUCATION DEPARTMENT (First Floor)
University of Allahabad, Allahabad
INDIA – 211 002
PHONE NO:- 91- 532- 2460787
FAX NO:- 91- 532-2460787